Assault trial for man accused in wrong-door shooting of Ralph Yarl moves forward

Share

Explore Our Galleries

An NAACP flyer campaigning for the Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill, which passed the U.S. House of Representatives in 1922, but was filibustered to defeat in the Senate. Dyer, the NAACP, and freedom fighters around the country, like Flossie Baily, struggled for years to get the Dyer and other anti-lynching bills passed, to no avail. Today there is still no U.S. law specifically against lynching. In 2005, eighty of the 100 U.S. Senators voted for a resolution to apologize to victims' families and the country for their failure to outlaw lynching. Courtesy of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).
Some Exhibits to Come – One Hundred Years of Jim Crow
Mammy Statue JC Museum Ferris
Bibliography – One Hundred Years Of Jim Crow
Claude, age 23, just months before his 1930 murder. Courtesy of Faith Deeter.
Freedom’s Heroes During Jim Crow: Flossie Bailey and the Deeters
Souvenir Portrait of the Lynching of Abram Smith and Thomas Shipp, August 7, 1930, by studio photographer Lawrence Beitler. Courtesy of the Indiana Hisorical Society.
An Iconic Lynching in the North
Lynching Quilt
Claxton Dekle – Prosperous Farmer, Husband & Father of Two
Ancient manuscripts about mathematics and astronomy from Timbuktu, Mali
Some Exhibits to Come – African Peoples Before Captivity
Shackles for Adults & Children from the Henrietta Marie
Some Exhibits to Come – The Middle Passage
Slaveship Stowage Plan
What I Saw Aboard a Slave Ship in 1829
Arno Michaels
Life After Hate: A Former White Power Leader Redeems Himself

Breaking News!

Today's news and culture by Black and other reporters in the Black and mainstream media.

Ways to Support ABHM?

By Dennis Romero, NBC

Ralph Yarl in Kansas City, (Mo.Dominick Williams for NBC News)

Prosecution of an 86-year-old white man charged in the wrong-door injury shooting of a Black teenager in Kansas City, Missouri, last year will move forward, a judge indicated Tuesday.

A mental evaluation of Andrew Lester approved by Clay County Circuit Court Judge David P. Chamberlain in September has been completed and was entered into the record on Nov. 15 but otherwise withheld from the public.

So far, the report hasn’t paused the trial’s starting date of Feb. 18, scheduled during a hearing in early October, according to court records. A second week of trial, if needed, was scheduled for Feb. 24.

Cleo Nagbe, mother of Ralph Yarl, said the teen’s family is pleased the case remained on schedule.

“The family of Ralph Yarl is grateful that the trial against Andrew Lester is moving forward,” she said in a statement sent to NBC affiliate KSHB of Kansas City, Missouri. “This case represents more than just accountability — it’s a step toward justice for the trauma Ralph and our family have endured simply because he rang the doorbell at the wrong home.”

The original article has more information.

This case highlights a dangerous precedence known as adultification bias.

More recent Black news.

Comments Are Welcome

Note: We moderate submissions in order to create a space for meaningful dialogue, a space where museum visitors – adults and youth –– can exchange informed, thoughtful, and relevant comments that add value to our exhibits.

Racial slurs, personal attacks, obscenity, profanity, and SHOUTING do not meet the above standard. Such comments are posted in the exhibit Hateful Speech. Commercial promotions, impersonations, and incoherent comments likewise fail to meet our goals, so will not be posted. Submissions longer than 120 words will be shortened.

See our full Comments Policy here.

Leave a Comment